University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, Juris Doctor (2005)
Cornell University, Bachelor of Arts (1999)
Marco is a business lawyer with a practice focused on emerging growth companies, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate finance. He has extensive experience guiding clients through complex transactions at all stages of the business life cycle – from business structuring and entity formation to capital raising and commercial arrangements, and on to exit events, such as sale transactions, public offerings and shareholder separations. Marco’s clients appreciate his focus on practical results, his technical expertise, and his strategic judgment.
Based in Portland, Oregon, Marco is a member of the Oregon and New York State bars, and regularly advises clients on both coasts. He works closely with the firm’s growing East Coast offices, collaborating with clients and colleagues to help entrepreneurs and investors structure and finance business ventures.
Prior to joining Emerge Law Group, Marco was a partner at Tonkon Torp LLP and an associate at Perkins Coie LLC. He also spent three years in London and Hong Kong with Herbert Smith Freehills LLP and as in-house counsel for Morgan Stanley. Marco’s international experience continues to inform his ongoing work on cross-border transactions.
Marco has been honored as “Super Lawyer” in Securities and Corporate Finance since 2021.
Marco received his J.D. from the UCLA School of Law, where he also worked as a legal intern for the American Civil Liberties Union, was a teaching fellow, and taught legal principles to high school students. Marco received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University. He is highly proficient in Spanish and Italian. In his free time, Marco enjoys fly fishing, skiing, soccer, and spending time with his family.
- Advised healthcare technology start-up company from formation, through several rounds of debt and equity financing. Regularly advises clients across multiple industries in similar transactions.
- Regularly advises technology, manufacturing, and cannabis businesses through acquisitions and dispositions via asset sales, equity sales, and statutory mergers.
- Regularly advises business partners through redemptions and similar business separations, in both friendly and hostile transactions.
- Advised real estate development company through property acquisitions, bank and private investor financing, property development, and dispositions.
- Advised multi-state cannabis operator through formation, business entity structuring, equity- and debt-based financing transactions, multi-state growth, implementation of equity compensation program for employees and service providers, and various business combinations and acquisitions. Regularly advises clients across multiple industries in similar transactions.
- Represented publicly traded cannabis business operating in multiple U.S. states, as well as in Canada, Africa and Europe. Advised client through several rounds of capital raising; operational growth and regulatory compliance, initial public offering in Canada and multiple follow-on public offerings, including with respect to U.S. and cross-border securities law matters, and multiple U.S. and international acquisition transactions.
Outside of the Office
Outside of the office, Marco enjoys spending time with his family and friends, fly fishing, skiing, all things soccer.
Marco’s Blogs & News
We are pleased to announce that four attorneys at Emerge Law Group have once again been recognized as Oregon Super…
Author: Jake Cormier As the markets for legal cannabis continue to expand nationwide, companies continue to develop new products to…
We are excited to share that the 2021 Oregon Super Lawyers list has honored two of Emerge’s Oregon-based attorneys. Super…
Emerge Law Group is honored to have been voted the Dope Industry Award for Best Law Firm in Oregon by…
Emerge Law Group is pleased to welcome Marco Materazzi, an experienced business lawyer with a practice focused on emerging growth…