Rutgers Law School, Newark, Juris Doctor, Certificate in Corporate and Business Law (2023)
The University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Arts, Major in English, Minor in Spanish (2012)
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Brittany Tovar is a corporate and business attorney. She represents individuals and companies to form and structure new businesses and to navigate state and federal laws and regulations. Brittany helps clients with the day-to-day operations such as drafting contracts, negotiating deals, and resolving disputes. Brittany wants her clients to understand their rights and obligations in order to prevent regulatory issues.
As adult-use cannabis comes online on the East Coast, Brittany also represents cannabis startups and entrepreneurs in forming, operating, and growing their businesses in this new and highly regulated industry. She represents cultivators, processors, wholesalers, distributors, retail dispensaries, and delivery services in obtaining and maintaining licensing.
Brittany graduated from Rutgers Law School, Newark, where she was a 1LE and 2LE Representative in the Student Bar Association, an Evening Student Representative in Rutgers Association of Latin American Law Students, and interned at the New York County (Manhattan) Supreme Court – Civil Branch. While earning her law degree, Brittany worked full-time as a Compliance Director at a leading transportation company. Earlier Brittany had an extensive background in compliance and risk management; creating processes or procedures to ensure that organizations followed relevant laws and regulations.
Brittany is a fourth-generation Mexican-American yet first-generation college student and first-generation attorney, and she understands that representation and opportunity, along with a strong drive, are required to break socio-economic barriers and achieve seemingly impossible goals. As such, she is a passionate advocate for diversity and inclusion and hopes to be an inspiration to others breaking barriers to get into the legal profession.
- Business and Commercial Litigation Committee, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Cannabis Law Committee, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Business Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Labor and Employment Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Minorities in the Profession Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Women in the Profession Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Young Lawyers Division Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Securities Law Committee, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Diversity Committee, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Bergen County Bar Association, Member
- Diversity Committee Member, NJSBA, Programming Committee Member
- Cannademix: All-Day Expungement Clinics, Pro Bono Legal Service Provider
- Union County Expungement Clinic, Pro Bono Legal Service Provider
- Cannaware Society: Take Action Expungement Clinic, Pro Bono Legal Service Provider
- Union City Law Day , Pro Bono Legal Service Provider
Brittany’s Blogs & News
Last month, Emerge Law Group’s east coast team sat down with podcaster Rob Sanchez on his show, Apartment 113, to…
CRC to Begin Accepting Applications for Class 3 Wholesale Class 4 Distribution and Class 6 Delivery Businesses on September 27
Author: Emerge attorney Brittany Tovar Three new cannabis license classes—wholesaler, distributor, and delivery—are opening for applications later this month in…
The New Jersey CREAMM Act established six (6) classes of licenses for businesses that want to participate in the adult-use…
Authors: Duncan Delano, Attorney at Emerge Law Group Brittany Tovar, Law Clerk at Emerge Law Group On October 28, 2022,…
By: Duncan Delano and Brittany Tovar Applications for Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary Licenses to Open Next Week The New York…